Saturday, October 13, 2012

There's No Such Thing As Coincidences

       Today marks my grandma's fifth anniversary in heaven.We have many fond memories of my grandma, but we always remember my grandma's love for hummingbirds. My grandma and grandpa lived in Florida, but owned a house in the mountains of Georgia. They would go to Georgia during the summer months because Florida was too hot. My grandparents had a hummingbird feeder at their house in Georgia. My grandma would fill the feeder with sugar water and watch the hummingbirds through the glass sliding door. When we would visit, we would all watch the hummingbirds flutter around the feeder. It was a special treat to see these birds because we would not see them in New York or Florida. The hummingbird not only reminds us of my grandma because she liked them, but also because my grandma was sweet, graceful, and delicate just like a hummingbird.
        Hummingbirds are very special to my family because they remind us of our grandma, who we miss very much. My sister and her fiancé bought a hummingbird feeder and set it up in their backyard. They had it up for a few months and never saw a hummingbird. However, on September 8th, my sister was having her engagement party in the backyard of her house. While setting up, she said a hummingbird flew right in front of her face and then flew away. We know that it was my grandma sending her love on such a special day for my sister. My parents then told us that they had seen a hummingbird the week before, which was only the second time they saw a hummingbird in New York. My mom told us that there is no such thing as coincidences and that our grandma was letting us know that she was watching over us.

 
 
Vocabulary Words:
1. Anniversary
2. Fond
3. Hummingbird
4. Flutter
5. Graceful
6. Delicate
7. Coincidence

Definitions:
1. Anniversary: when something important happens on a date and then the date reoccurs every year
2. Fond: to like something
3. Hummingbird: a very small bird with a long, thin nose and small wings that move so fast that it makes a humming sound
4. Flutter: to wave or flap
5. Graceful: being elegant or beautiful
6. Delicate: fragile, or easily damaged
7. Coincidence: accident or luck

Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:
1. The couple celebrated their wedding _______________________ at a nice restaurant.
2. I am very _______________ of candy.
3. I saw a ________________ drinking sugar water.
4. The bird _________________ it's wings.
5. The ballerina dancer was very _________________.
6. I bought a __________________, glass vase.
7. It was not a _________________ that I ran into him at the store.

Grammar Point:Plural Noun Forms
The plural form of most nouns is created simply by adding the letter s. For example, more than one apple is apples. Words that end in -ch, x, s or s-like sounds, however, will require an -es for the plural. For example, More than one witch is witches. There are several nouns that have irregular plural forms. For example, more than one child is children and more than one mouse is mice. With words that end in a consonant and a y, you'll need to change the y to an i and add es. For example, more than one baby is babies. Plurals of words that end in -f or -fe usually change the f sound to a v sound and add s or -es. For example, more than one knife is knives.

Click here to learn more about the plural noun form

Grammar Activity

Directions: Change the nouns from the singular form to the plural form.
 
1. One life... two ________________
 
2. One story... two ______________
 
3. One man... two _______________
 
4. One box... two _______________
 
5. One store... two ______________

2 comments: