Monday, October 8, 2012

End of Watch

       Up until this past week, I hadn't been to the movies in a very long time. The last movie I remember seeing was Jack and Jill, which came out in November 2011. This past Tuesday I saw a movie called, End of Watch. Then, this past Friday, I saw a movie called Taken 2. In my blog I am going to only talk about End of Watch because I thought it was a phenomenal movie. The movie was about two cops who patrol the streets of South Central, Los Angeles. They make many brave arrests, which gets them much recognition within the police force. Unfortunately, some of the arrests and calls that they respond to involve a dangerous drug cartel. In the midst of trying to keep the streets of South Central safe, the cops end up becoming the drug cartel's enemies. I thought this movie was outstanding! It was not only suspenseful, but it was also very funny. I would recommend anyone to go and see it.
 
Vocabulary Words:

1. Phenomenal
2. Patrol
3. Arrest
4. Recognition
5. Cartel
6. Enemies
7. Suspenseful


Definitions:
1. Phenomenal: extraordinary, excellent
2. Patrol: to pass along a road or area in order to keep it safe
3. Arrest: to catch someone and usually put into handcuffs
4. Recognition: to recognize, notice, or acknowledge someone or something
5. Cartel: a group that controls a large sale of something
6. Enemies: someone who doesn't like you
7. Suspenseful: having anxiety because you do not know what will come next



Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:

SSODCHFPOR
PHENOMENAL
FAIICARTEL
PWPBMXWPUT
QWOPLEUONN
XTBNITNSFR
QYNFARREST
PATROLIFTD
JZCLJUPYZW
QNGDCWRQCU
PHENOMENAL
PATROL
ARREST
CARTEL
ENEMIES

Grammar Point: Commas
Commas are often difficult to understand. There are numerous ways commas are used. One way in which you use commas is when you are listing more than two items. For example, I like to eat candy, cookies, and ice cream. You also use a comma to separate two adjectives when the word and can be inserted between them. For example, He is a strong, healthy man. Another time you use a comma is when you use words such as therefore and however when they are used as interrupters. For example, I would, therefore, like a response. You also use a comma after prepositional phrases.
 

 
Grammar Activity

Directions: Insert commas into the following sentences.
 
1. Joe Chris and Ronald went to the store.
 
2. After I eat dinner I have my dessert.
 
3. If you do your homework you will get a prize.
 
4. I like to play tennis softball and lacrosse.
 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent entry! I haven't seen or heard of the movie. I especially like the comma explanation.

    ReplyDelete