Saturday, December 8, 2012

Stop! And Enjoy Life

       The past couple of weeks for me have been extremely busy. Between my job and my school work, I hardly have anytime to do things that I enjoy. This weekend and next will be comprised of lesson planning and paper writing. The one draw back of being a teacher is having to do work at home and now that the semester is coming to an end I have lots of assignments to complete. Christmas is right around the corner and I still haven't had the time to decorate my house. I think my house may be the only one on the black that hasn't put up their lights yet. In the midst of all my work, I seem to have forgotten how to enjoy the holidays. Instead, decorating the house, buying Christmas gifts, and sending Christmas cards are just more items to add to my To Do List.
       Life sometimes gets so hectic that we aren't able to enjoy the little things. I would love to go into the city and see the Christmas tree and the windows at Macy's, but I just don't think I'm going to have time. I would prefer to lay on my couch and watch Christmas movies all day instead of writing lesson plans and papers. I think about how busy people are and how it is a shame that things we should enjoy like Christmas shopping and decorating becomes a chore. I can honestly say that I will be the happiest person when this semester is over and I am on my winter vacation. I can't wait to spend time with my friends and family and not have to worry about work.


Vocabulary Words:
1. Comprised
2. Semester
3. Assignments
4. Midst
5. Hectic
6. Prefer
7. Shame
8. Chore
 

Definitions:
1. Comprised: to include or contain
2. Semester: half of a regular academic year
3. Assignments: a task, work to do for school
4. Midst: to be in the middle of
5. Hectic: busy
6. Prefer: to like one thing over another
7. Shame: to be disgraced or embarrassed
8. Chore: a job, or task
 
 
Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:
1. The retirement party ____________________ of co-workers, family, and friends.
2. I am almost finished with the fall ___________________.
3. Our ____________________ are due on December 19th.
4. I found my lucky sock in the __________________ of all my clothes.
5. The holidays are usually a _________________ time for people.
6. I _________________ chocolate ice cream over vanilla.
7. It is a _______________ you can't come to the party.
8. My one ___________________ at home is to wash the dishes.

Grammar Point: Conjunctions
A conjunction is a word that connects other words or groups of words. In the sentence Bob and Dan are friends the conjunction and connects two nouns and in the sentence He will drive or fly, the conjunction or connects two verbs. In the sentence It is early but we can go, the conjunction but connects two groups of words. Coordinating conjunctions are conjunctions which connect two equal parts of a sentence. Coordinating conjunctions are: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So. A mnemonic device to remember the coordinating conjunctions is FANBOYS. Subordinating conjunctions connect two parts of a sentence that are not equal. Subordinating conjunctions are: After, Although, As, When, While, Until, Because, Before, If, Since. A mnemonic device to remember the subordinating conjunctions is AAAWWUBBIS.

Click here for a song about conjunctions
 

Grammar Activity

Click on the following link for a worksheet to practice conjunctions.
Directions: Combine each pair of sentences with the conjunction in parenthesis to make a new sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment