Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Change Isn't So Easy

       Recently, there has been a lot of change in my life. Some change I am happy about and I am willing to accept. However, I am having a difficult time dealing with some other changes in my life. I have come to the realization that I do not like change. I feel as though the change that I am not willing to accept is now effecting my mood. I have been grappling between accepting the changes and moving on or trying to prevent the changes from occurring. The worst part is, the changes I'm not willing to accept are not life shattering. I decided to go on the Internet to look for advice for dealing with change in your life. I came across a website that explains that when you put an issue under a microscope, it is not worth having. It made me start to think that I might be worrying over something very trivial. The part on this website that really effected me was that we only get one chance at life. Why let this silly issue make my life less enjoyable? I always think of situations in the past that seemed like such a big deal at the time and now they seem so small. I hope that this change I am not willing to accept is going to be something I look back on and it will seem so silly. For the time being, I think I am going to have to accept the things I cannot change.


Vocabulary Words:
1. Mood
2. Grappling
3. Prevent
4. Microscope
5. Trivial
6. Situations

Definitions:
1. Mood: your emotions or feelings
2. Grappling: to be in a struggle
3. Prevent: to stop
4. Microscope: an instrument used to make small things look larger
5. Trivial: not important
6. Situations: events
 
Vocabulary Cloze Exercise:
1. After fighting with his brother, Larry was in a bad _____________.
2. He was _____________ with a boy twice his size.
3. In order to _____________ fires, you should never leave a burning candle unattended.
4. We use a ______________ to look at tiny organisms.
5. The fight between the teenage girls was _____________.
6. I have been put in many awkward _________________.

 Grammar Point: Subject and Predicate
A complete sentence always has a subject and a predicate. The subject is the noun (person, place, or thing). The predicate is a fancy word for verb. The verb is an action word. For example, in the sentence, The big butterfly flew into the jar of jelly, The big butterfly is the subject and flew into a jar of jelly is the predicate. If the sentence read, Flew into a jar of jelly, this sentence would not be complete. It is missing the subject.

Click here to learn more about subjects and predicates

Grammar Activity
Silly Sentences: Read the silly sentences. Underline the subject and circle the predicate in the sentence.

1. My teacher flew over the beach.

2. A grizzly bear played soccer in the park.

3. The slimy worm drove the car down the street.

4. My adorable cat went to the movies.

2 comments:

  1. Very good entry, Vanessa. I think change is unavoidable, though it is sometimes hard to take. I like the link to the Brainpop on subjects and predicates. Remember that Brainpop may be too fast for ESL students; if that is the case, you can give the students the dialog in written form too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are going through these changes that you are not happy about, but I ensure you that you are not the only one dealing with changes. I agree with you that I hate changes! I know sometimes it feels as though everything is always being thrown at you all at once and you ask yourself “how much more of this can I handle or take? I can speak first hand that sometimes the feelings of these changes are just too much to handle. It is sad to say, but no one can stop something from happening they can only delay something from happening. You just have to remind yourself that something’s are just not worth beating yourself up over and to try to focus more on the bigger picture. Also, I tell myself that if I could not handle this then, God would not have put all this on me. I do not know if you are religious, but even so, I am sure you have heard the saying “God will never give you more than you can handle…” and I think that this will give you comfort in knowing just how strong you really are  Things will ease up and get better!!!

    ReplyDelete